Ven Pongal is a popular dish in South Indian homes and is typically served as a breakfast.
Rice 1 cup
Split green gram(Moong Dal) 1/4 cup
Refined oil 3 tsp
Black Peppercorns 1 tsp
Cumin(Jeera) 2 tsp
Ginger 1″ piece, finely chopped
Asafoetida(Hing) a pinch
Cashew nuts split, fried in 1 tsp ghee 10-12
Ghee 2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Roast the Rice and Moong Dal for 1 or 2 min. Add 4 cups of water, choped ginger, and salt; Cook( Cooker – 3 to 4 whistle, Pot – till the water is absorbed and the mixture is well cooked )
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the black peppercorns till they start spluttering. Add to the rice mixture.
3. Add the Jeera, curry leaves and asafoetida to the rice mixture and cook till well done. Be careful that the mixture does not harden; add water, if required.
4. Add the remaining oil and ghee, and the fried cashew nuts. Mix and remove.
5. Serve hot with Coconut chutney or Vengaya Gothsu.
If you do not like to taste of whole black peppercorn,
Grind the black pepper and jeera, fry it in 1 tsp of ghee; add it to the rice mixture.