1 Banana flower
1/2 or 3/4 cup(depends on small or large flower) Channa Dhal (soak for 1 hr and grind coarsely keeping few channa dhal seperately)
1 medium sized onion(finely chopped)
1 cup buttermilk(diluted)
corainder leaves- a few chopped finely
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
green chillies-2 or acc to taste
cinnamon- 1 small piece
Saunf- 1/2 tsp
ginger – a small piece
garlic- 3 cloves chopped finely
1. TO CLEAN THE BANANA FLOWER: Apply oil on both the hands to avoid sticking.Take off the purple outer covering and remove the bunch of florets. Repeat the process until you reach the center.
2. Separate each flower from the bunch and remove the stamen(with a black tip or just a thick round tip). Chop the florets and soak them in buttermilk with a pinch of salt to avoid discoloration.
Check out these pictures to remove the stamen from the floret. I collected these pictures from http://www.spiceindiaonline.com.
3. Boil some water in the pan and add the florets.
4. When the florets are cooked, drain and squeeze the florets well to remove the excess water. Finely chop the florets.
5. Add the ground channa dhal, channa dhal kept separately without grinding, chopped onions, coriander leaves and the ground masala to the banana flower mixture. Add salt according to your taste.
6. Do not add extra water and mix everything to form thick dough.
7.Make shape like vada and deep fry in hot oil.
Drain excess oil and serve as it is or with chutney or sauce.