Quinoa has excellent source of protein and fibre. I have been using it for a while now and tried different recipes with that. I used the Organic tricolour/white quinoa from Trader Joe’s.
Compared to the Indian sooji/broken wheat, I personally found Quinoa to be delicious. Buying this grain in India is expensive.
The benefits of quinoa are available in the following link Quinoa benefits.
Ingredients: (4 servings)
Quinoa – 1 cup
Vegetables of your choice (carrots/ beans/corn/ baby corn/potato/zucchini/peas/red or yellow capsicum,etc) – finely chopped – 3/4 cup
Onion(big) – 1
Tomato medium sized – 2 or pasta sauce – 2 to 3 tbs,
Soya chunks(small) boiled and drained – handful
Olive oil – 1 tbs
Green Chilli slit- 1
Mustard – 1tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Curry leaves – 4-5
Salt to taste
I used a small pressure pan to cook this easy recipe.
- Heat oil in the pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start crackling, add cumin seeds along with urad dhal and sauté them lightly.
- Add the green chilli, curry leaves, asafoetida and fry for few seconds.
- sauté onions till they turn translucent.
- Add the pasta sauce or chopped tomato and fry for a minute till they soften. (I used pasta sauce)
- To the above mixture add the veggies and fry for another minute.
- Pour 2 and a half cups of water to the mixture and add salt as required.
- When the mixture starts to boil, add the soya chunks along with quinoa and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Garnish with coriander if desired.
- Serve with pickle.
Served with fried Cashew and Kara Boondi for the kids: