Eggplant(Brinjal)/onions cooked in a tangy tamarind gravy spiced with both red and green chillies, goes well with Ven Pongal or even dosas / Idlis.
Onions/Brinjal, Chopped 1 1/2 cup
Tamarind, Lemon-sized, soaked in
1 cup warm water for 5 min,
juice extracted 1
Refined Oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds 3/4 tsp
Dry red chillies 2-3
Asafoetida a pinch
Curry leaves 5-6
Green chillies, chopped 1-2
Salt to taste
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Rice flour, dissolved in little water 1/2 tsp
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan; add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, and asafoetida. When the seeds start spluttering, add curry leaves, green chillies and onions.
Fry the onions for a minute.
2. Add the tamarind extract and salt. Reduce the heat and bring the mixture to boil till the raw smell of tamarind disappears and onion is cooked.
3. Dry roast the fenugreek seeds; remove and powder.
4. Add the fenugreek powder, and if required some water to make up quantity(this should make half a litre). Add the rice flour paste and boil for 2 min.
4. Serve hot with Ven Pongal/Idlis/Dosai.