This is the first bread recipe that I baked with the help of a recipe that I found on the internet. My anxiety levels were quite high right from the beginning until tasting the garlic bread. The taste was awesome and the flavour of garlic filled my home 🙂
For the dough:
- 1 and ½ cup whole wheat flour/atta
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour/maida
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 150-160 ml water – approx ⅔ cup water (depending on the quality of flour, you may have to add less or more)
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dairy butter or vegan butter
- ½ to ⅔ tbsp minced or chopped garlic or finely crushed garlic
- 1 tsp chopped celery
- ¼ tsp dry oregano
- 2 pinch carom seeds/ajwain
- 1 or 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper as required
- Mix ½ tbsp sugar and yeast in warm water. allow to sit at room temperature for 10-12 mins.
- Add the flours, salt and oil to the bowl of yeast mixture after the yeast solution bubbled and frothy.
- Mix well and knead to a smooth and soft dough.
- Rub oil on the whole dough and keep covered for up to 1:30 to 2 hours until leavened.
- Beat the butter with a spoon till light and fluffy. add all the spices & herbs along with salt. mix well.
- Check the seasoning in the garlic spread and add more of the herbs, spices or salt if required.
- Lightly punch the dough before making the rolls on a work surface.
- Divide the dough into two parts.
- Take one part of the dough and on a lightly dusted flour, roll to a round or rectangle till you get ½ inch width in the rolled dough
- Spread the garlic butter evenly on the dough.
- Roll the dough till the end.
- Make a similar roll with the other part of the dough.
- Slice both the rolls
- First give a cut from the center and then equally cut the two parts. so you have now 4 equal slices of the rolled dough.
- Grease a pan in which all the 8 rolls will fit. place the rolls in the pan and brush their tops with remaining garlic butter. cover and let the rolls double up for 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the rolls.
- Bake in a pre heated oven for 30-35 minutes at 180 degrees C till the tops are golden.
- Serve the garlic bread rolls with tea or coffee.