Ever since my childhood, I used to bug my mom to prepare this paruppu usili for me every week. It’s a lentil crumble that may be prepared with vegetables like beans or banana flower or cluster beans or onion and so on. Even without the vegetable, this dish can be mixed with plain rice dotted with ghee. This dish tastes best with banana flower(vazhaipoo). Please refer to the following link on the procedure to cut the flower https://ssriranjini.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/vazhaipoo-vada/
Ingredients (For 2 members):
Toor dal – 1 cup
Channa dal – 1/4 cup
Beans, chopped – 1 1/2 cup
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Dry red chillies – 3 or 4
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Asafoetida – a pinch
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 4 or 5
Refined oil – 3 to 4 tbs
1. Soak the Toor dal and Channa dal in water for 1 hour.
2. Drain and grind the dal coarsely with dry red chillies, salt, and asafoetida .
3. Steam cook the ground mixture(2-3 whistles in a pressure cooker or keep it in the oven for 6-7 min till there is no moisture in the mixture). Allow it to cool and crumble it using a ladle or your fingers(using the fingers is better)
3. Cook the beans or other vegetables separately and drain out the excess water.
4. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the mustard seeds, urad dal, turmeric powder and curry leaves. Add the crumbled mixture and the cooked beans.
5. Fry the mixture as per your liking(I like it to be fried,crispy and separate granules as this tastes good).